Tis the Season For Roadblocks
With Christmas and New Year's around the corner, motorists in Illinois should keep the following in mind:
- Roadblocks are common during the holidays. Keep your license and insurance on you, be careful about what is in your vehicle in case you are stopped.
- You are responsible for what goes on in your vehicle. Don't let a passenger have open alcohol or keep open alcohol in your car.
- If your license is suspended DO NOT DRIVE. Even if the suspension is for parking tickets or emissions violations you will be arrested and risk your vehicle being impounded.
- Even if you are arrested pursuant to a roadblock there can be ways to win your case. To be lawful, roadblocks must follow certain set procedures that are not always done. An attorney can look into this issue for you.
- Unless the officer has probable cause they cannot search the contents of your vehicle. Often when illegal items are found in a vehicle they are found through an unlawful search. Talk to your attorney about the circumstances surrounding your arrest.
For more information or to schedule a free consultation on these or any criminal
matters contact Lynn Palac, an experienced criminal attorney at 847-253-8800.